Wednesday, December 1, 2004

TESCO

I recently purchased some groceries at a Tesco store. It had a great selection of goods at low prices, open 24 hours a day. It would be nice with this kind of store in Sweden. I got use to this service back in Ohio with e.g., Kroger and Meijer. Tesco has 60 stores in Hungary. It is the leading online grocery store and it is now expanding its business with a TV channel and a "retail- based education institution." The stock analysts are giving Tesco a good grade. In the October issue of the logistics magazine, Tranzit, it was an article (10 éves a Tesco-Global Áruházak Rt.) on Tesco and its 10 years in Hungary. I will see if I can get a short translation and summary of it by a colleague.

UPDATE: It looks like a competitor is entering the Hungarian market. German discount supermarket, Lidl, has opened its doors in Hungary, but the company is experiencing start up problems according to a colleague at my work. Lidl has also been accused by Tesco for "destroying" the market by selling the products below cost price and that is "illegal" for some reason. I have to look into this situation a bit more...

UPDATE 12/02/04:
I don't have any more information regarding Tesco's complaints against Lidl, but here is a news story on Lidl in Scandinavia and what's happening with the local chain, ICA.

No comments:

Post a Comment